Monday, August 11, 2008

Blackout

My post for today (and today I mean Sunday because I haven't gone to bed yet is Protecting Marriage.

There was a thunder storm and my power went out. I was on my laptop at the time so the battery took over. With the light from my computer I was able to find candles and a lighter so I was prepared when the battery died.

I don't like total darkness. It's not like I require a nightlight, because I find the streetlights provide enough light to make things fine, but complete darkness I find oppressive, like I can't breathe.

I wonder how they managed before electricity. Sure they had lamps, but at some point you have to turn the lamps out and then there you are. In utter darkness. Moonlit nights are fine, but not every night is the moon visible. How did little kids find their way to the bathroom? I can't imagine a four year old lighting a candle.

I guess I'm spoiled.

3 comments:

JaeJay said...

That storm was insane! I was nopt prepared at all and stumbled around for what felt like a long time before I found the matches. I didn't think ti use the laptop as a beacon, what a great idea!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Love the new template!

Oh my, I know what you mean. We keep a lot of oil lamps around here since there tend to be a lot of blackouts. Always throws me for a loop.

Unknown said...

I wouldn't last a week. Forget the indoor plumbling. Forget the lights. What would I do without my Internet??!!!