Monday, August 29, 2011

It's Official: I Have a Multiple Personality Disorder

I found this fun site called I Write Like You plug in a sample of your writing and it tells you what famous author you write like. I have no idea how this works. It's great for those days when you have so much to do that you're overwhelmed and don't want to do anything.

So I plugged in both Blowout and Merrily We Roll Along fully expecting to see Erma Bombeck. Instead I got

I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

I have no idea who David Foster Wallace is. Was he funny? Did he write like a middle-aged housewife in support hose?

So I thought I would try something else. I plugged in Charity and I got:


I write like
H. P. Lovecraft
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

Didn't he write horror? I had no idea that my criticism of celebrity charity was in the horror vein. That's far more critical than what I had to say.

So then I try Frankie, Squeeze My Rubber Duckie only to get:


I write like
Cory Doctorow
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

I never heard of him either, but a search on Wikipedia - as a college student I am obligated to warn others that Wikipedia is not recognized by any college or university as being reliable which really I don't care about other than it makes it a pain to not use it in my essay bibliographies - reveals that Cory wears a red cape and goggles.

So then I plugged in And then shall many be offended and got:


I write like
Dan Brown
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

Score! Although it's interesting that my rant is similar to a multi-bajillion selling author. Interestingly, it's the only blog post that made me money. Hmmm. Similarities? Maybe I should write more raving lunatic rants.

I thought it would be fun to ask Aunt Madge to do this too and she got:


I write like
Chuck Palahniuk
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

Which made her reply - "With a name like Chuck there's bound to be something wrong with him. He should write me for advice." I pointed out to her after looking him up on trusty Wikipedia that he was the author of Fight Club and that he's been called a nihilist to which she replied that she didn't know what that meant. When I explained that according to trusty Wiki it meant "without purpose" she stomped away, muttering under her breath.

So I decided to go back to me and I posted an excerpt from my book Roses and Daisies a charming inspirational love story about a heartbroken woman who runs away from home.



I write like
Stephen King
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

Yes, the master of horror and the second one on the list. When I plugged in another of my chik lit novels it came back to Lovecraft. Is there something in the universe trying to tell me something?

Okay, so I thought I would try one of my juvenile fiction novels.



I write like
Anne Rice
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

The vampire lady long before Stephenie Meyers.

Okay, so it's determined that for some reason I like horror. What will it say to my middle grade book "Witches Brew-ha-ha".



I write like
J. K. Rowling
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

Really! Really! The richest writer in the world! I am dancing. I just need to send that one out and wait for the money to pour in.

1 comments:

Cindy Beck, author said...

Ok, so maybe it was heartless of me to laugh over the fact your inspirational love story could have been written by Stephen King. But really ... that is soooo funny! :)

Hope you're feeling better.