Saturday, October 25, 2014

One Hundred Word Fiction Prompt: Waiting

I'm doing something different today. A new series. It's inspired by Rochelle Wiseoff-Fields Addicted to Purple.

Every week she posts a prompt and the challenge is to write a fiction piece that's not more than one hundred words.

So here's this week's prompt and my story.





I said goodbye to him here.

And I waited for him to come home.

And waited.

And waited.

That was over sixty years ago. I know he’s not coming back. I know he can’t come back. But I still come here, remembering that last kiss, that last smile, that last touch of our fingertips.

There was so much we had planned, so much life that wasn’t met. Ruined because of a mad man.

I used to go for jogs along this sidewalk, now I shuffle with my walker.

And sometimes if I squint, I can see him.



13 comments:

Beth Camp said...

I really liked the emotion in this short piece, well matched to the photo. Evocative and memorable. Thank you also for including the link to the writing prompt, for I also love matching words to photos.

Anna Maria Junus said...

Thank you. If you do a prompt I would love to see it.

Elisabeth Halligan said...

Oh, that is so powerful! My only complaint is that I want to know the rest of the story.... (pout) LOL!

Alice Gerard said...

I think that I would like to try a writing prompt, too. Thank you for sharing the link. That was a nice little story, complete in 100 words. Lots of unexpected stuff in that story.

Naima said...

Left me seriously wondering what happened. Very well written. That last sentence just about brought a little lump to my throat ... Beautiful.

Anna Maria Junus said...

Thank you for your lovely comments.

I thought it was obvious what happened, but part of that was my mistake. I should have put 70 years, not sixty. I thought the mad man line would give it away. The answer - he went off to war.

Rochelle Wisoff-Fields said...

Dear Anna,

This was lovely if not devastatingly sad.
Please, link your story on the inLinkz list if you haven't already. And welcome to Friday Fictioneers.

Shalom,

Rochelle

Anna Maria Junus said...

Thanks Rochelle.

I linked it after you suggested. It took me a bit to figure it out. Never seen anything like it, but it's easy to do. Will be a future contributor.

Ruth said...

What a sad but sweet story.... nice job if that was your first one!

Anita Sabat said...

Touching story.
Well expressed :)

Subroto said...

Touching story. Welcome to Friday Fictioneers.

Unknown said...

Very Sad story. Enjoyed it.

Unknown said...

So very sad but I was drawn in by the characters and the love.