Monday, October 13, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

Today is Canadian Thanksgiving.

Which really means that it's Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. I had my turkey dinner yesterday and today I'm so sleepy I found myself asleep and drooling on my keyboard in the afternoon.

That drug that turkeys have to make you sleepy lives on.

Canadian Thanksgiving is more than a month before American. We don't have the same publicity. In November we see the commercials and we think "been there, done that."

One advantage to Thanksgiving in October, is that generally there's no snow on the ground although there have been exceptions. The leaves on the trees have turned gold and red and it's sweater weather.

I love sweater weather. I love sweaters.

I'm thankful for sweaters.

I don't have to drive through blizzards to get to family get togethers where someone else does the cooking.

I'm thankful for not having to do the cooking.

And for family to go to on Thanksgiving. Especially daughters that cook and son-in-laws that like having me there.

And a car to get me there even though my side mirrors are broken and hanging on with duct tape.

Today I get to just curl up and watch tv and knit, or read a book, or sleep. I don't have to go anywhere or do anything. Except blog because of that Ultimate Challange Thing.

I'm grateful for beds, yarn and knitting needles, comfy chairs, DVD's, books, and my computer. And cheese and crackers, and orange juice, and jammies and leftovers brought home from dinner the day before so that I don't have to cook.

When you celebrate Thanksgiving in October there's time to recover from one turkey before starting on another.

And so Happy Thanksgiving to everyone even if you don't celebrate it yet.

P.S. I'm also thankful that I'm not a turkey.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Measi said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I confess, I wish ours were earlier in the U.S. since it's now just a speedbump on the way to the behemouth that is Christmas. I feel like it's almost forgotten entirely.

I hope you had a lovely holiday weekend - without all of the chaos - and will be enjoying plenty of leftovers (the best part of the holiday!)

- Melissa
http://www.measi.net/measiblog/