It's election time...again. I'm working the polls and I'm getting paid so it works fine for me, but it's costing Canada a fortune.
Our set up is quite different from the States even though we're both a democracy. To be honest, I think the states has a better system. There are three changes I would like to see to our democratic process, things that the States does.
1. Have an election every four years. The way it is now they have an election anytime they want to. It becomes a game, especially when there's a minority government (minority means that they have less seats than the combination of other governments). You can see the other parties gang up on the elected party. You can see the elected party doing things to force a vote in hopes of getting more seats. If they all knew that there was only a vote once every four years then they could spend more time actually working instead of playing the game "when shall we have another election."
2. Limit an individual from being the prime minister to two terms. Remember Trudeau? He was in power for like a hundred years. It was like having a king that wouldn't die. He's responsible for the metric system, French being on everything (even though English isn't), and Margaret.
3. Allow us to actually vote for our prime minister. Put his/her name on the ballot and let us put an x there. Right now the prime minister is determined by how many seats his/her party wins. I remember one year I wanted one guy from a party to represent me, but I didn't want his party leader to be prime minister. You can have a great representative be in the wrong party. So make it two separate votes. One for your local rep and one for the prime minister.
4. Yes I know I said three but I just thought of a fourth. Allow our representatives to represent us. When King Mulrooney was in power he kicked out people who didn't agree with him. There should be room for dissention and our reps should be able to vote according to how they think the people they represent want them to vote, not according to what the prime minister tells them.
So there we go.
By the way, did anyone watch the wedding? Yes, I did stay up. It's history in the making. The dress was beautiful and she was glowing. I remember the other wedding - yes I am that old. The dress was overwhelming and Diana didn't look very happy. As it turns out she wanted to run and she should have but then we wouldn't have had this wedding. Let's hope that William and Katherine's (could you get any more regal sounding names?) marriage is a long and happy one. Will seems like a much better man than his father and might actually take those vows he made today seriously - unlike his lying, cheating dad(can you tell that all my sympathy went to Di?), and Kate seems far better prepared than Diana.
- ► 2013 (19)
- ► 2012 (21)
- ▼ 2011 (32)
These Other Blogs of Mine
The Humor Posts
- Adventures At the Wedding
- Adventures of a Cross Stitched Driver
- Driving Me Crazy
- Forget About the Snakes, Worry About the Dead Bodies
- Frankie, Squeeze My Rubber Duckie!
- Hats! Hats! And More Hats!
- How To Escape From Kids- Hunker in the Bunker, Secret Rooms and The Winchester House
- Humiliating the Off-Spring
- I'm Sick as in Hack! Hack!
- I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up!
- If A Five-Year-Old Ruled the World
- Is Aunt Madge Ready for the Big Time?
- It's Official: I Have a Multiple Personality Disorder
- Letter to Truckers
- Lunch on a Skyscraper
- Merrily We Roll Along
- More From Aunt Madge
- My New Baby Is Acers
- Pushing the Deadline
- Someone's In the Kitchen...
- That 25 Thing List
- The Biggest Loser is Not for Winners
- The First Snowfall of the Winter Happens Before the Beach Umbrellas Are Put Away
- The Flood, From a Woman's Point of View
- Today is Mad Hatter Day
- Weird Shoes - The New Version of Torture Chambers
- Welcome to Earth 101
- While I Am Sleeping or Why Can't I Have the Shoemaker's Elves
- Why Does Disney Hate Mothers?
From the Annamaniacs Files
The Writing Posts
- 10 Reasons Why You Should Be a Book Owner
- 10 Writing Sites That Can Help You Or Give You Reason to Procrastinate That Book
- Advice to Would-Be Writers - Not That Anyone Will Listen
- Chocolate and Nanowrimo
- Drum Roll Please: Winner of 2011 Nano
- Fun For Writers
- It's So Easy
- Left to Write: Dialogue Tags
- Left to Write: The Information Dump
- Links to Me, Me, Me, Me, Me (Read That With an Opera Voice)
- Nanowrimo 2014: It's Coming
- Not Writing
- Putting "The Hiding Place" In Hiding
- Time for Lousy Book Covers
Write Your Life
100 Word Fiction Prompt
The Scam Posts
The Crafty Corner
The Don't Know What To Do With It Posts
- Charity, Oprah, Donald Trump, and Anything Else I Can Think of for the Search Engines
- Cheating and a Little Late (Canada Quiz)
- Cross Stitch, Quilting, Knitting Sewing UFO's = Procrastination
- Elections and Weddings
- Happy Thanksgiving
- Hey Mom. Can I Have a Beer?
- I'm Not Pregnant, I'm Fat, Thank You For Noticing
- It's Gaudy Day So I Bring You Antoni Gaudi
- Mish Mash
- Music Soothes the Savage
- My Thoughts On the 2009 American Idol
- Silly Love Song and I'm Not Talking About the Paul McCartney Hit
- The New Deal: Blogs, Books, Nanowrimo, Cats and Lynne Anderson
- The Tin Noses Shop
I've never been a shoe girl. I prefer barefoot or sneakers. However I did find a pair of shoes for my daughter that has left me foaming ...
Lady Gaga did not get her inspiration from Madonna. She got it from British Royalty. Anyone who watched any part of the royal wedding knows ...
Yes, I am calling this pro-bullying. This was posted on facebook. I'm trying to get my head around the thought process that goes in...
We spent a bit of time today talking in Sunday School about a passage in JSM 8 “ And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one anoth...
It's not that I'm trying to make fun of other authors out there. I just can't help myself. No seriously, I think we learn more f...
Why does Disney hate mothers? Think about this, Snow White’s mom—dead. She had a wicked step-mom instead—in fact a wicked witch of a step-...
Take a moment to read the following and then come back here. You Are My Hands There is so much in this beautiful talk that I don't kn...
When I was five I learned how to knit. I didn't make anything, just a lot of holes, but I learned the basics enough so that when I was 1...
In conjunction with the release of Pumpkin Roll the author, Josi S. Kilpack, and the publisher, Shadow Mountain, are sponsoring a contest...
It's election time...again. I'm working the polls and I'm getting paid so it works fine for me, but it's costing Canada a fo...
- Story Structure Checklist
- So Why Write? - Josi S. Kilpack
- Lenses - Annette Lyon
- The Unlovable Character - Julie Wright
- Overused Words In Writing
- Subjunctive Mood: Was or Were - Annette Lyon
- Into or In To - Annette Lyon
- Reader Edition (misused Words) - Annette Lyon
- Those Hook Looking Thingys (single quotes) - Annette Lyon
- Quotes, Marks & Italics - Annette Lyon
- Parentheses and Brackets - Annette Lyon
- The Dreaded Synopsis Part 1 - Josi S. Kilpack
- Synopsis Part 2 - Josi S. Kilpack
- Don't Get Mad, Get Published - Julie Wright
- Very Very Basic Self-Publishing Tips
- Image Copyrights