Monday, February 4, 2013

Superpowers

My writer friend Jenn Quist wrote a post on super powers. It's wonderful and introspective and incredibly smart. You can find it HERE. Jenn is about to join the club of traditionally published authors. I have no idea what her book is about, but I have read her work and she is talented. Her post made me want to write something about super powers but mine won't be so smart. Not a science reference involved.

A few years ago I was playing a board game with Son One and Son Two. Of course the topic of super powers came up. I don't remember what they said although I think one of them put invisibility on their list. Frankly I don't see much use for it unless you want to sneak into a movie or listen to what other people say about you when you're not around. Although why you would want to do that I have no idea. Either you'll hear things you don't want to hear, or no one will say anything about you because you really aren't all that important.

Anyway, I said I wanted to fly - duh, who wouldn't other than people with height fears which is not my problem. And I said I wanted to time travel.

Son One said, "You can't have time travel because then you would go back to your teenage self and warn you not to marry that guy and then I wouldn't be as good looking as I am."

Yeah, as if his good looks only came from his dad and I wouldn't have been able to find another good looking man.

I've also decided since then that I want to be a shape shifter. Then I could be slim and gorgeous forever. Well, maybe not forever but for as long as I could shape shift. I have no interest in shifting into animal form, but if I could make myself magically lose weight, wrinkles and pimples, then why not? Other people can change their clothes and hair, I could change my entire body. I realize that's not a very feminist standpoint, and it would make it hard for my friends to recognize me - on the other hand it would make it easy to hide from my children - but I don't care if it's not politically correct. I'm not much for political correctness anyway; it shifts too much.

I would also like to be able to wiggle my nose and have things instantly done, like Samantha on Bewitched, which I realize many people no longer know who that is. She was a TV witch who could wiggle her nose and her house would be instantly clean but she was married to a control freak dictator who didn't want her to be all she could be and insisted that she clean house the regular way. I guess he just couldn't handle that there were some things she could do better than him, including his job. She was the one that came up with all the ad campaigns while he took the credit. Anyway, I wouldn't use a power like that all the time. I like doing some things, but cleaning is not one of them, so poof, my house would always be immaculate and I would have a beautiful garden because I love beautiful gardens but hate gardening and kill everything anyway. We would have some pretty amazing meals too.

So what would your super powers be?

*****
Update on Thimble Fingers. It's free at the moment but that free is about to run out any second. It's had over 2000 downloads and is in the top 200 of Free Kindle Downloads. It's number 7 in humor and number 8 in women's fiction. Which is pretty amazing since it's only been up for a few days, has only two reviews (both 5 star) and is from an unknown writer.

Now I realize those numbers probably won't mean much until it goes back to being something people pay for. And once it goes back to being for sale those rankings will drop off into oblivion. Then it will really matter if people want to buy the book. Still, I'm going to focus on the positive right now.

To get a copy go to Amazon. You don't have to have a kindle to download or read it. You can read it on your computer or another device - as long as it's not another ereader. And write a review. You don't have to use words and phrases like - "split my gut laughing", "so heartwarming it made me cry" "outstanding" "should be on the best sellers list" and "absolutely the funniest thing since the Gilmore Girls" but you are more than welcome to use any of those phrases if you get stuck.

0 comments: